Thursday, December 25, 2008

Purpose of co-operation

I had always been in a kind of shell, that I am self sufficient and I don’t need any body to help me. Several times had come when I was required to seek help from others, but demanding help from other was against my principles. I don’t know whether that was my self confidence or my arrogance. I was sceptical that why people takes help and what is the need of taking help from outside when we are often told, we are the supreme creatures and we have the power of thinking that other living organism lacks. The Big words like mutual help and co-operation were just jumbled alphabets for me, but the time since I started reading ‘Collective Action Component’ as a paper in the second term, my opinion has changed and now I have other questions hammering me all the time. Now I have the questions like what will happen if I refuse to help others and what will I feel if I demand help from others and they refuse me to help? The only answer comes to my mind that it will create a distance between me and others, in other words the social or personal relation between individuals may get deteriorated. Is the motive of maintaining harmonious relationship, the root cause of co-operation or help? If the answer is yes, than isn’t is our selfishness. And if the answer is no, than it implies that we need co-operation in each and every sphere of life. Then my question is what the importance of an individual in the society, when s/he is not able to survive without others. We are being taught that each and every individual is special and has some unique features, than what’s the use of that individuality if we are interdependent for our survival.
In my opinion, co-operation comes, when an individual recognise his inability to overcome any problem. He then seeks others help to solve his problem and again it a self motive of the agent that is going to be served by the other agents in the system. So it is the selfish nature of mankind that creates the co-operation and the process keeps on going.
I may be wrong about the understanding of the concept of co-operation but I have never witnessed any co-operation that excludes profit motive or better to say deriving profit for self. We say that we should work as a team and must co-operate with each other but my question is, by co-operation aren’t we limiting our capabilities and increasing interdependency?
I am not denying the importance of co-operation, as we are man and not God, we need others help and co-operation. But the prime objective of co-operation should be CO-EXISTENCE and not merely existence.

3 comments:

ravi dhanuka said...

Gope if i got you right then please think when we play cricket, we cooperate each other. is it because of profit? i think you would agree that the answer is no. Cooperation is simply the rule of the game for human survival.

the second point that i want to drive home is that it is not always that we cooperate because alone we cannot overcome problem. at times we want outcome to be much much better and when 10 human beings sit together, the whole that comes out is much much greater than the sum of its parts. we complement each other. think what it would be if we all start living a life of solitude. it is hard for me to imagine. look at it this way. the books we read were written by some one else. therefore we owe our knowledge to him. simply taking this point further, life is all about trickling effects of cooperation. the only difference is some of us can feel it in the air while others live may be with a vanity or wrong assumptions that he is a standalone identity.

Joseph Kalassery said...

gope, it is a great thought...

but my understanding is tat, individuality nd interdependence r 2 sides of the same coin..each of us have our individuality, but v r interdependent bcos our individuality wud b lackin in some respects...hence v cooperate

regardin when 2 help others etc, i follow a simple principle. i try 2 help everyone the 1st time. but then, if i feel over a period of time, i'm being exploited then i stop helpin...i dont fight with the one exploitin me, but i just ignore the request of help..bcos i feel help nd exploitation cannot co-exist

hope this helps

Amit Goel said...

i somewhat agree with you that at times cooperation is driven by the self-motivation or selff-interest. but it does not succeed in the long run.