Saturday, February 14, 2009

Intangible gets defeated

I am neither a philosopher not an anthropologist nor sociologist for that matter. Therefore, it is highly probable whatever I am going to write may not be cohesive but I take this blog as an opportunity to express something I am always grappling with since the beginning of post mid term classes. Does not CAC (collective action and cooperation becoming cliché in blogs) depend upon the nature of output. Kindly note that I am not saying importance or relevance of the output rather nature of output which I classify as tangible or intangible. Due to lack of vocabulary, I define tangible as outcomes which are clearly visible within a certain frame of time and their impacts are recognised and appreciated.

CAC is easier when outcomes are tangible, when outputs are measurable (remember costs>benefits), when agents desire to achieve it within a certain period or at least can feel gratified if things are moving in desired action in his lifetime but what about outputs that are equally or at times more important. We do not take pain to indulge in action because we may not be the affected ones neither in present nor in future or better to say we may not realize that we would be affected.

Let me take an example analysis of which is based on inspiration from theory of structuration. Few days back one of us put fine on three of our seniors in the afternoon but the notice was removed when I went to take dinner. Because it was put before I went to take lunch and I saw it being there when I came out, it is hard for me to believe that no one else would have seen it. But why no reaction when the notice was removed??? Also look at the ways some rules are continuously broken. No one now has an objection if you play in the mess lawns. We can feel in the air that culture is changing and in all probabilities, it will perpetuate because we will pass it on to our juniors, undoubtedly without giving a thought.

Another example which I am going to keep very brief. How do you think change in culture of any society originate? During video on Bihar shown by Bihar Development Trust, we realized that Bihar has a very rich socio-cultural history. So how and why has it reached its present state. It is because ‘intangible has got defeated’. There must have some aberrations that passed the muster that people did not realize hoe heavily it would damaged.

For last few days I am getting paranoid about whatever I do. I have started thinking in the following lines. Whatever I do and say will not be lost in time and space. If any negative or unwarranted things happen, it will influence persons close to me who in turn will influence other set of people and it thus way an innocuous incident may make its way through and become part of the system or reform it.

No comments: